Monday, June 18, 2007

Jonathan Edwards

Recently I have been reading Iain Murray's excellent biography of Jonathan Edwards published by Banner. I have taken a great interest in Edwards this year having found his abridged works (published by Grace Publications) most helpful. I was struck by Edwards' direct and unapologetic style and his scripture centred approach which both shook me and allowed me to vividly imagine his awed audience. Murray's biography tells of a highly intelligent young man who became consumed with a passion for God's word at a very young age, devoting his entire life towards the preaching of it. It saddens me that very few Pastors today seem to preach as Edwards did- the gospel is plain and simple and should be preached as so! I hope and pray that my heart will ever be changed to be like Edwards' and the Puritans- that I might be meek and humble and also full of zeal for the word of God!

No comments: