Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Miraculous Gifts

If you'd have asked me when I first became a christian if I beleived in the continuation of the miraculous gifts I'd have said of course, having not realised that some people didn't. This was undoubtedly due to the nature of the church I grew up in. If you'd have asked me a couple of months ago I'd have given a resounding no. Now I'm not so sure. I've been trying to read up on both sides of the argument using books like Counterfeit Miracles by BB Warfeild, Charasmatic Chaos by John Macarther, Wayne Grudems Systematic Theology and various (some definately dodgy) pentacostal sermons online.

It seems to me that the argumant is really all about terminology. What did Paul actually mean by the term tongues for instance? Does he mean a random collection of sounds or an actaul language, such as occured on the day of pentacost? I'm convinced of the later by Macarthurs arguments. I think. What is the precise definition of what prophesy is?! Grudem gives some helpful pointers, but they contradict those given by Warfield.

My mind = a mess.

Thoughts anyone?!

No comments: