Monday, May 21, 2007

To Persevere or Not Persevere...

During my time at University, which I can now alarmingly refer to in the past tense, one of the key issues that has constantly been raised within the Christian student community has been that of the doctrine of perseverance of the Saints.

Perhaps it is the lack of spiritual maturity that naturally occurs within young Christians, but whatever the reason, it is certain that many students believe it possible to lose ones salvation. Many talk of their own experience, or that of someone they know, of having being a Christian, lost their faith and then regained it. Whilst it is possible that this yo-yo affect may have only been prominent in my University I seriously doubt it. I am also fully aware that it is not an issue that exclusively effects students, its presence is felt widely within the church.

This post has been inspired by an article on 'Justification and Perseverance' by the Rvd Derek Thomas taken from the Banner of Truth magazine, May '07. Thomas talks about the debate over the doctrine of perseverance and draws clear rules by which it can be seen. Thomas draws a clear distinction between the visible/invisible church and shows that, although apostasy is deeply saddening, it is a reality. Carl Trueman, a co-faculty member with Derek Thomas at Westminster Seminary, has some interesting comments on apostasy here.

It is in the face of true apostasy that we must be clear in our agreement with the Westminster Confession of Faith concerning the visible church as 'all those throughout the world that profess the true religion'. Even though such members may have accepted the union of the sacraments they may sadly apostatize.

Thomas is correct in his statement that "final assurance is assured to those who are true or genuinely regenerated believers" anybody who has been elected through the grace of God will persevere into eternity, some will claim faith but will walk away without truly regenerate hearts.

In 1 John 2:19 we read "They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they6 they went out, that it might become plain that they are all not of us". There are those who appear to be Christians but are not, and all those who are truly saved are assured that they will remain so.

In the article Thomas continues by addressing the fruits of perseverance; that a truly regenerate heart is manifested by good works and then points to the importance of the doctrine of justification by faith alone alongside perseverance.

It is clear that once we have become regenerate we cannot loose the salvation that we have received from our sovereign God, and it is saddening that many young Christians preach otherwise to each other. Let us glorify in the knowledge that: 'If we have died with him, we will also live with him; if we endure, we will also reign with him' 2 Timothy 2:11-12

3 comments:

Steve Burlew said...

Rich - I am REALLY glad that I found your post. I head up the operation for Banner of Truth here in North America, including subscriptions to the magazine that you referenced. In fact, I will be with Derek Thomas next week at the Banner of Truth Ministers' Conference; I will try to send him your blog address tomorrow so he can read your comments for himself. If we at Banner can ever be of help and encouragement to either of you guys, please let me know. Again, thanks for this!
Steve
www.trophiesofhisgrace.blogspot.com
www.banneroftruth.org

Rich said...

Thanks Steve for the encouragement! I enjoy the Banner of Truth magazine very much and will be subscribing when I move to my next destination in September so that I won't have to steal from my dad! I only hope that my comments don't in any way disrepresent Derek's article, which I found immensly helpful. Thank you again for you're kind words, I hope you keep on checking this blog- I'm sure Banner will be featured lots!

Steve Burlew said...

I thought your comments were fine, Rich. No need to worry. Are you guys both living in the UK? I'm glad you've developed that Banner connection, and seemingly while pretty young. Sounds like your dad may have had something to do with that. That's a good thing. Feel free to email me, also (steve@banneroftruth.org) for whatever. I'll try to check the blog as I'm able; stop over to mine from time to time, also, and keep up with what's happening at Banner (and with me). God bless you, sir.
Steve